Share this Post
I’ve received a few requests for examples of a completed template using a notable brand’s positioning. So, here’s a great brand positioning statement example to help illustrate how to use the template. It also serves as a case study to potentially spark ideas for your own brand.
Great Brand Positioning Statement Examples: Aveeno
Aveeno has grown significantly since its acquisition by Johnson and Johnson, and has helped undo the conventional category thinking that natural products can’t be effective. In fact, the brand point of view goes further to assert that natural beauty is better than conventional products.
Here are four reasons why Aveeno’s positioning is a winner.
- Single-minded and simple: The brand does not try to be all things to all people. There’s a single functional benefit, emotional benefit, and reason to believe.
- Clear benefit ladder: Aveeno connects functional benefit and emotional benefit together in a relevant way. It’s clear that the ultimate emotional payoff is feeling beautiful, and naturally healthy skin is the way to get there.
- Unique point of difference: The brand has summed up the scientific support and unique ingredients into an ownable trademark (Active Naturals®). It’s a clear point of difference in all of their advertising and on packaging.
- Consistent execution: Aveeno executes the message very consistently and usually does not stray from the core positioning. This makes the strategy very effective in practice.
Hopefully that gives you a good sense of how to effectively use the brand positioning statement template. Get more examples in our Ultimate Guide to Writing a Brand Positioning Statement.
Here are some ways you can get additional value from me:
- Subscribe directly to my email list to be notified when I post newsletters, brand management articles and frameworks. As a thank you, you’ll immediately get our welcome guide: The Marketing Executive’s Guide to Brand Team Building.
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel for free video tutorials and lessons in brand management.
- Connect with me on LinkedIn, TikTok, and Twitter.
- Check out our menu of in-depth brand management training workshops, our all-inclusive Brand Management Accelerator program, or our 1:1 brand leadership coaching program.
Kevin Namaky is CEO at the Gurulocity Brand Management Institute, a marketing education company that trains and consults for notable brand teams including Kimberly-Clark, Scotts Miracle-Gro, Bolthouse Farms and Gorilla Brands. Kevin is a featured instructor for the American Marketing Association, lectures at the IU Kelley School of business, and has been featured in Ad Age, Forbes, Fast Company and the CMO Council. Previously Kevin worked for 20 years in the corporate and agency world growing notable brands. Follow/connect with Kevin on LinkedIn, TikTok and Twitter.