Share this Post
I suspected as much after years of watching the brand teams I worked on struggle to onboard new employees, who often came from university programs without the practical knowledge or skills to do great work managing a brand from the inside.
When analyzing the data from those interviews, we specifically contrasted the answers of ABMs/brand managers with those of directors and above. Those results are captured in this infographic. And here are the highlighted stats:
- 81% of brand directors and marketing VPs said their ABMs and brand managers do not get adequate training in school or in their new marketing roles (61% of ABMs and brand managers also agree).
- 56% of ABMs and brand managers say that their manager’s ability to train them is inconsistent.
- 56% of brand directors and marketing VPs say their ABMs’ and brand managers’ work is not up to standard, leading to rework and micromanagement.
These stats confirm the reason we started the Gurulocity Brand Management Institute in the first place. ABMs and brand managers shouldn’t have to struggle their first couple of years on the job. There’s a real need for a curriculum that specifically caters to consumer brand management, and that offers practical tools and templates to jumpstart a career in brand management.
Here are some ways you can get additional value from me:
- Subscribe directly to my email list to be notified when I post newsletters, brand management articles and frameworks. As a thank you, you’ll immediately get our welcome guide: The Marketing Executive’s Guide to Brand Team Building.
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel for free video tutorials and lessons in brand management.
- Connect with me on LinkedIn, TikTok, and Twitter.
- Check out our menu of in-depth brand management training workshops, our all-inclusive Brand Management Accelerator program, or our 1:1 brand leadership coaching program.
Kevin Namaky is CEO at the Gurulocity Brand Management Institute, a marketing education company that trains and consults for notable brand teams including Kimberly-Clark, Scotts Miracle-Gro, Bolthouse Farms and Gorilla Brands. Kevin is a featured instructor for the American Marketing Association, lectures at the IU Kelley School of business, and has been featured in Ad Age, Forbes, Fast Company and the CMO Council. Previously Kevin worked for 20 years in the corporate and agency world growing notable brands. Follow/connect with Kevin on LinkedIn, TikTok and Twitter.