Share this Post
As a marketer, you are always selling. From external customer pitches to internal leadership alignment, knowing how to create a compelling sales presentation means knowing how to tell a story.
While most of us get the basic concept of storytelling, it helps to have a tangible example to look at. So, I’m sharing an example sales presentation outline and flow that was published by Andy Raskin on LinkedIn near the end of 2016. It already has over 26K views on LinkedIn Pulse and provides a great overview of how to construct a compelling sales story. It’s titled, The Greatest Sales Deck I’ve Ever Seen.
Andy dissects Zuora’s (a SaaS company) sales and marketing pitch content and boils it down into five elements of a brilliant narrative, complete with screen shots of example slides. He points out and teaches each element so you can follow the same flow in your own presentations.
“Don’t kick off a sales presentation by talking about your product, your headquarters locations, your investors, your clients, or anything about yourself. Instead, name the undeniable shift in the world that creates both (a) big stakes and (b) huge urgency for your prospect.” Read more on LinkedIn.
Here are the five elements Andy proposes for your sales presentation outline (with my tie to positioning in parentheses):
- Name a big, relevant change in the world (the opportunity)
- Show there will be winners and losers (the tension)
- Tease the promised land (the benefit)
- Introduce features as “magic gifts” (sub-benefits/RTBs)
- Provide evidence you can make the story come true (proof points)
When you present, you are often positioning. How you position yourself and your message is what motives someone to take the desired action. This applies if you are a startup trying to get funding, a salesperson asking someone to buy, or if you are a corporate employee trying to persuade senior leadership.
Read the post and hold the example flow and slides up next to your own. What can you do to improve your pitch?
Here are some ways you can get additional value from me:
- Subscribe directly to my email list to be notified when I post newsletters, brand management articles and frameworks. As a thank you, you’ll immediately get our welcome guide: The Marketing Executive’s Guide to Brand Team Building.
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel for free video tutorials and lessons in brand management.
- Connect with me on LinkedIn, TikTok, and Twitter.
- Check out our menu of in-depth brand management training workshops, our all-inclusive Brand Management Accelerator program, or our 1:1 brand leadership coaching program.
Kevin Namaky is CEO at the Gurulocity Brand Management Institute, a marketing education company that trains and consults for notable brand teams including Kimberly-Clark, Scotts Miracle-Gro, Bolthouse Farms and Gorilla Brands. Kevin is a featured instructor for the American Marketing Association, lectures at the IU Kelley School of business, and has been featured in Ad Age, Forbes, Fast Company and the CMO Council. Previously Kevin worked for 20 years in the corporate and agency world growing notable brands. Follow/connect with Kevin on LinkedIn, TikTok and Twitter.